Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 3 in the Caribbean.... contusions, bruises and all sorts of wounds. 'Chucho'


Beach experience in Cartagena means taking a boat and going to Playa Blanca and the Islas del Rosario to do some snorkeling or visit an aquarium. My travel mates convinced me to the snorkeling. An experience that lasted for exactly 60 seconds after i jumped off the boat in un-deep water and hurt my big toe on a coral. Also clear was the lack of breathing after being sick last month. Back on board the boat guide 'Chucho' started to clean the wound an puts a bandage that does not survives the next stop on Playa Blanca. After trying in vain to find slippers to ease the walking we decide to postpone the healing process till we are back in Cartagena. I can tell you that going back to Cartagena was the event of the day! Chucho urged us to take place on board asap and after I boarded in what you can easily call a 'grand ecart' (a wide spread) to make all professional dancers jealous we all experienced a Carribean Sea Roller Coaster to never forget. The sea was quit rough and our boat staff explained us later they decided to do the crossing in super speed because of the danger of capsizing. If they had told us before I'm sure some of our travel mates would have chosen to spend the night in Playa Blanca. Water can be hard as concrete and the whole sensation of seeing the sky for only a second and one second later landing on a stone floor and this during 20' is something to remember for quit a long time... even more with a vulnerable back and neck. My toe was giving me more troubles so that helped to put everything in a certain perspective. Back in the hotel my travel agents changed roles and became nurses. With a proper bandage we were ready for the night and with a bottle of rum and some good salsa music we were overviewing from the Camellón de los Mártires from one of the better salsa pubs 'Quiebracanto' on the edge of Getsemani. Later we tried to survive the few hours that separated us from Ana's birthday through food and drinks in the walled city but we stranded (to continue in the day's style) 15' before the H-hour in the hotel and we decided that the B'day started there and then. Ready for a short night... Have to call my surgeon in Belgium at 03.30 am to hear the verdict about my neck problems. Desperately trying to dl music for a private performance for Ana's birthday. Mission impossible with an I-Pad ...frustrating but that is how my life looks at this moment. I feel lonely overviewing the day. My wounds are not only physical.

1 comment:

  1. Oh!! A lot of frustration yesterday! I can imagine the coral and big waves troubles :( I hope your wounds get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here... so all visitors can read them!